Few people use all the features of modern mobile devices. Connecting to a TV is one of them. All relevant methods are discussed in the article, for each key advantages and disadvantages are given.
THE CONTENT OF THE ARTICLE
When you need to connect a mobile device to a TV
The connection is useful to watch the series, show friends videos and photos from the rest.
Overview of 10 Ways to Connect
The current methods are discussed below, but first you should consider a number of nuances:
- It is advisable to have a TV and a smartphone (tablet) that were released no later than 2015. Few technologies for transmitting high-quality video content were common among consumer devices in 2010-2015.
- Sometimes you need to purchase an adapter or cable. Cable required for older TVs. But it doesn’t always come with the hardware. In TVs released after 2015, most likely there is support for current technologies for connecting mobile gadgets.
- There is a method that works exclusively with smartphones of a certain operating system. For example, micro HDMI is only suitable for Android phones.
Wired connection method for Android devices. It requires a special micro HDMI connector in a smartphone or tablet. This limits the spread of this approach today, when manufacturers are trying to get rid of ports, leaving only the most versatile USB Type-C. However, the method is user-friendly, since all that is required is a micro HDMI / HDMI cable (adapter), a TV with HDMI (available in new models) and a minimum of settings.
Average price: 400 rubles.
I just connect one end of the cable to micro HDMI on LG Optimus 2X, and the other to the TV. Everything has been working for many years now.
- a free USB connector of the gadget can be used for charging while connected to a TV;
- the image is displayed automatically after connecting.
- micro HDMI port is almost never found in modern technology;
- The quality of the picture is highly dependent on the performance of the mobile device.
The first standard for displaying images from an Android smartphone or tablet to a TV using a cable. It is an interface that «links» the micro USB port of a mobile gadget with HDMI. In this case, a passive or active cable is used. In the first case, you need a compatible TV model (of which there are very few), but no additional power source is required (a cable of 2 connectors). The active cable is compatible with any TV with an HDMI port, but additional power is required (wire with 3 connectors). This is a legacy method for users who have an older Android device.
Average price: 750 rubles.
I have Sony Xperia Z2, Dynamode MHL-HDMI-UNI Black cable and Samsung UE24H4080. At first I did not understand which connector to connect, since there are a lot of them. But you can’t be mistaken in size, after which I turn on HDMI on the TV and the smartphone screen is immediately displayed.
- a universal approach for older devices on the Android operating system;
- the screen of the mobile device is duplicated on the TV.
- passive cable requires compatible TVs that are no longer available;
- active cable cost.
MHL’s main competitor in the early 2010s. The difference is that a picture from a smartphone can be output not only to HDMI, but also to DVI, DisplayPort and even analog VGA. This allows you to connect not only to a TV, but also to a monitor, including an outdated one. The connection takes place according to the active scheme: a connector is required on the side of the image output device. Additional external power is required, so the wire consists of 3 connectors to the mobile, a USB port for power and a connector on the TV. SlimPort has been deprecated due to compatibility issues. Few mobile devices supported it, and the cable was expensive.
Average price: 1,400 rubles.
At one time I bought an Ewell Slimport — HDMI M / F adapter for Google Nexus 4. Now I connect it on one side to the Samsung UE46D7000, and on the other — to the tablet. Everything is picked up instantly, but it’s better to turn off auto-rotate the screen on the tablet.
- can be connected to a computer monitor;
- the image is duplicated without additional settings.
- cable price;
- few compatible devices.
You cannot connect a mobile gadget to a TV via Wi-Fi. To do this, you need to use «add-ons» to the wireless interface, and there are many of them: Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, Miracast, Chromecast.
The technology was designed to transfer data between two devices that are equipped with Wi-Fi modules. It is relevant for Android smartphones and tablets. Wi-Fi Direct was not created to broadcast a picture from a mobile device to a TV, but this is implemented in one of its versions — WiDi. The technology benefits from a large number of supported devices: a smartphone with Android 4.0 and above, almost any TV with Wi-Fi. The convenience for the user lies in the fact that the TV can view video files and photos that are stored in the phone. In new smartphones and TVs there is an option to duplicate the picture. You can buy an adapter or media player that connects to the TV’s USB port if it does not have a Wi-Fi module.
Average price: 1,000 rubles.
I do this with a Xiaomi phone and a Samsung TV. I turn it on on the TV in the «Network» menu => «AllShare Settings» => «Screen Mirroring». And on the phone: “Settings” => “More” => “WiDI”, where I see my TV. Then immediately the screen of the phone is displayed on the telly.
- wide compatibility;
- the user sends any media file from a mobile device to the TV.
- the function of duplicating a picture does not work everywhere;
- only for Android mobile devices.
A standard for networking between technical devices that has been evolving since 2003. The long lifespan is due to the wide variety of interfaces used — from Ethernet to Wi-Fi. With regard to the connection of a mobile gadget and a TV, the technology works in the same way as Wi-Fi Direct — from a smartphone, you can transfer photos or videos to a TV. To do this, use the Wi-Fi module built into the TV or a separately purchased adapter that connects to a USB or HDMI port. This is a universal way. It works on Android and iOS devices and does not require the latest TV.
Average price: 1,000 rubles.
I do it through the program on the phone BubbleUPnP with DLNA enabled on the TV. I transfer the file I need as through viber, only I choose not it in the list, but my TV. The photo or video is then opened on TV. And you also need to configure BubbleUPnP, I found instructions on the net.
- over 30,000 compatible devices;
- low cost of retrofitting an old TV.
- there is no possibility of duplicating a picture from a mobile device to a TV;
- the data transfer rate depends on the interface used.
It is a Google development for streaming video, audio and photos. From the side of the mobile device, you need an application, and from the side of the TV, you need a built-in or separately purchased module (media player). The last type of device connects to the TV via HDMI or Ethernet. You can display any content from your smartphone, including streaming services (Netflix, Spotify). Chromecast can also become part of the local home network. The technology has been and remains one of the best options for connecting smartphones and tablets to TVs in 2019-2020.
Average price: 2,200 rubles.
Everything is simple. I connect the set-top box to the TV. On it through the menu I turn to HDMI. On the phone in Youtube, I click on the Cast button in the upper right corner. I choose a TV and the video is already on it.
- supports the transfer of content that is protected by copyright;
- wide compatibility.
- almost always requires the purchase of a separate and not the cheapest media player for the TV;
- It takes 5-10 minutes to set up.
A wireless standard for transferring data from mobile devices to TVs and monitors. For this, Wi-Fi Direct developments are used. A closed Wi-Fi network is created between the gadget and the TV, but it has good compatibility with a large number of equipment. The technology works on all smartphones with Android 4.2 and above. On the TV side, you need a built-in module or purchase a separate adapter that connects to HDMI or USB. Miracast is fundamentally different from Chromecast in its less developed networking capabilities through a TV. This is more of a technology specifically for connecting a phone and a TV.
Average price: 900 rubles.
I start the Miracast mode in the TV settings. In the smartphone, I go to the «Screen» menu, where I select the TV in the list of available output devices.
- available in almost any TV released after 2014;
- there is a duplication of the picture and transfer of files to the TV.
- ease of use depends on the equipment of the TV or a separately purchased module;
- low functionality in relation to working with streaming services.
Lightning Digital AV Adapter
A wired way to connect any Apple technology with a Lightning port to TVs with HDMI. In this case, the image on the monitor is duplicated. This requires a special cable, which in the spirit of Apple is expensive. On the other hand, the user does not need to configure anything for a long time, and the resulting level of compatibility is unattainable for Android mobile devices.
Average price: 4,400 rubles.
Good adapter, no complaints. For six months I did not have time to break, everything turns on at once.
- ease of connection;
- compatible with any current Apple smartphone or tablet.
- The quality of the picture depends on the version of the HDMI port on the TV.
Lightning Digital AV Adapter
Wireless method, for which you need to purchase an Apple TV set-top box separately. It connects to the HDMI port of the TV, as well as optionally to the wired Internet via a gigabit Ethernet connector. Wi-Fi and built-in iOS functionality are used to connect the mobile gadget and the set-top box. This is the best way to connect a TV and Apple technology for those users who need to not only show their friends videos from the Friday party, but also enjoy streaming services (Netflix, iTunes).
Average price: 11,000 rubles.
Connected to the TV via HDMI and everything. I use the Apple TV app on my iPad, buy the movies I need, and watch them on TV. I have not experienced any problems with installation and configuration.
- wide functionality;
- Compatible with any TV with HDMI.
- The set-top box comes without an HDMI cable.
Comparison of 10 ways to connect a mobile device to a TV
|Way||The operating system of the mobile gadget||Maximum data transfer rate, Mbps||Wired/Wireless||Price, rubles|
|Micro HDMI||Android||48,000 (HDMI 2.1)||Wired||400|
|MHL||Android||36,000 (MHL 3)||Wired||750|
|SlimPort||Android||10,000 (DP 1.4)||Wired||1400|
|WiFi Direct||Android||250 (802.11n)||Wireless||1000|
|Lightning Digital AV Adapter||iOS||5,000 (USB 3.1)||Wireless||4400|
|Apple TV||iOS||1000 (Ethernet)||Wireless||11 000|
- Connection difficulties are typical only for a bunch of devices that were released before 2014-2015.
- For older TVs with HDMI or USB, it is better to buy a media player that supports Miracast or Chromecast.
- For Apple mobile devices, it is much more profitable to purchase an Apple TV player.
The best wired way to connect your smartphone to your TV is MHL using an active cable. It will work with any TV.
Among wireless approaches, Miracast is optimal. The standard is easy to set up and available if you buy a separate adapter for your TV.
Found a typo? Select the text and press Ctrl + Enter