Reading 7 min Views 2k. Published
The choice of computer monitors is currently very large. How not to get lost in this diversity? In fact, everything is quite simple: you just need to know a few key characteristics, as well as for what purpose the equipment is mainly purchased.
The monitor can be called without exaggeration one of the most important parts of a computer, because it is it that allows you to see the result of the operations performed by the machine. You cannot use a computer without a monitor.
The purposes for which people need a monitor can be completely different, but the choice of this device must be approached with the same responsibility.
Are modern monitors safe?
Modern monitors are perfectly safe when handled properly. Myths about harmful electromagnetic radiation are just fiction. However, there is something to pay attention to:
- the ability to adjust the height and tilt will help protect your neck from fatigue.
- too high or, conversely, insufficient brightness tires the eyes, so you should not purchase monitors with a maximum matrix brightness value of 200 cd / sq. m and below. The optimal value is 250 cd / sq. m. With it, the image is quite bright and clear, so you don’t have to peer, and the flicker is almost imperceptible.
- screen refresh rate. It should be remembered that the recommended frequency is from 75 to 100 hertz. If this value is less than 60 hertz, then from working behind such a monitor your eyes will quickly get tired and your head will hurt.
What to look for when choosing a monitor?
Matrix type. Alas, the ideal type does not yet exist, therefore, in search of such a matrix, three main ones were invented, and on their basis, many subtypes.
- TN — the simplest and cheapest. They are characterized by a small black depth and small viewing angles, but at the same time a high response rate, for which they are held in high esteem by gamers. Sometimes the name TN-film is found, which means the presence of an additional filter that increases the viewing angle. A dead pixel glows white, which makes it easy to detect this defect.
- IPS — provide the best color reproduction, good contrast, large viewing angle (up to 178 °), but they have a slow response speed. Dead pixel black. Best of all, such monitors are suitable for people working with static graphics — designers and photographers. True, the price of such equipment is quite high.
- PVA, MVA — something in between the two previous types. Relatively inexpensive, they have the best black reproduction, but much worse midtones. The viewing angle is the same as that of IPS. The response speed is quite acceptable, so they are ideal for the role of universal monitors.
Screen size. With this, everything is simple: on a large screen it is more convenient to watch movies, play games, work in programs where you have to open many windows. On the other hand, a monitor that is too large takes up a lot of space, is demanding on the capabilities of the video card, and consumes a lot of electricity. Screen size is measured diagonally and is measured in inches.
Aspect ratio. Most often there are wide screens with parameters 16:10 and 16:9, and the so-called square: 5:4 and 4:3. Widescreen is convenient for playing games, watching movies, which most often have the appropriate frame size, and also for working in special programs. «Square» monitors are suitable for office work and study. How monitors of different ratios look in reality can be seen in the picture.
Monitor resolution is the aspect ratio expressed in pixels. The more pixels, the clearer the picture on the screen. Each diagonal has its own optimal resolution.
Currently, FullHD 1080p resolution, that is, 1920 × 1080 pixels, has become widespread. It allows you to watch movies in the best quality. The same goes for games.
It should be borne in mind: the higher the screen resolution, the greater the load on the video card.
Viewing angle. This refers to the minimum angle when looking at the monitor from which the picture will remain unchanged. A very important characteristic for monitors on which you plan to watch movies often.
Response time. As you know, to view video, the monitor must be able to display 25 frames per second. Therefore, one frame remains on the screen for approximately 40 ms. For modern monitor models, this time is even less, up to 2 ms.
It is clear that this quality of the monitor is especially important for those who need it to watch movies or play games. The optimal response speed in this case is 4-8 ms.
Types of connectors. Image quality is determined first by the matrix, and then by the type of connector through which the monitor is connected. They are of several types. VGA — analog type, does not transmit the image in the proper quality. Currently losing popularity. DVI — digital type. Now it is the most popular, the image transmits with high quality. HDMI is also a digital connector that transmits a clear picture. Suitable not only for a computer, but is able to connect the monitor to various other devices. An important feature is the ability to transmit video and audio signals simultaneously.
Color reproduction — this is the number of colors and their shades that the matrix is \u200b\u200bcapable of transmitting. The maximum of this value is 16.7 million shades. This quality is important for photographers and designers, and for everyone else, a standard set of colors will suffice. It is also rather big — over 65 thousand.
Contrast and Brightness — two more characteristics of the monitor, important for those who work with graphics. Contrast is the width of the range of dark and light shades, and brightness is the ability to display a high-quality picture even when light falls on the screen.
These were the main characteristics to keep in mind when buying a monitor. There are also some additional ones, for example, LED backlighting improves color reproduction and reduces electricity consumption, although it affects the cost. Perhaps 3D support will be important for someone — this is now also possible. The presence of a TV tuner will turn the monitor into a TV, and MHL support will allow you to connect various mobile devices.
Given the characteristics listed above, it is easy to choose a monitor for specific purposes.
How to choose a monitor for games?
Three things are important for a gaming monitor:
- Response time — the smaller it is, the better all dynamic scenes will look. It is recommended that you stop the selection on devices with a response of 4 ms or even less.
- The viewing angle should be from 170 degrees.
- You need a large monitor, 24 inches is best. This will give the game more realism.
The same specifications apply to a monitor designed for watching movies.
A selection of the best monitors for gaming
Choosing a monitor for a designer or photographer
For these professionals are important:
- Accurate color reproduction. This will allow you to work better with images.
- The large screen size is important when working with large areas of the visible image and allows you to open multiple windows in work programs.
- Optimal brightness and contrast.
- Large viewing angle.
A selection of the best monitors for the designer and photographer
Choosing a monitor for the home
The universal monitor has the following characteristics:
- Diagonal from 22 inches — convenient to play, and work, and watch movies
- Large viewing angle will allow you to watch movies while walking on the couch.
- The response speed should provide a quick change of pictures, without pixel trails.
A selection of the best monitors for the home
Which brand to choose a monitor?
Many people ask this question, but it is rather rhetorical, since it is difficult to give an exact answer to it. All modern monitors are high-quality and reliable products, and manufacturers try to keep the bar, so it depends, first of all, on the individual preferences of the buyer. Perhaps there are some statistics on manufacturers, but this information is not widely available. The only advice that can be given here is that it is best to buy equipment from the company that has a service center in your city.
So, choosing a monitor for your computer is actually not difficult. The main thing is to take the choice seriously, because such a technique, with proper use, can last for quite a long time, invariably pleasing with the beauty and high quality of the picture.